Overview of DiscoverSim™ Menu and Dialogs
Optimization Inputs: Control
- Input Control Number is provided for reference purposes only.
- Input Control Name is the cell address by default. Enter a name to describe the input control or click the cell reference and specify the cell containing the input control name. Note that DiscoverSim copy/paste uses relative addressing (see Copy Cell, Paste Cell, Clear Cells). Input Control Names must be alphanumeric with no spaces. The underscore character “_” can be used as a separator.
- Input Control cell color can be modified by clicking on Cell Address (default colors can be changed in Help > DiscoverSim Options).
- Specify the Start Value, Minimum and Maximum boundaries for the Input Control. You can also click the cell reference and specify a cell containing the start, min or max value. After specifying a cell reference, the dropdown symbol changes from to .
- The control, unlike an input distribution, has no statistical variation. Think of this as the temperature control knob of a thermostat. This is also known as a “Decision Variable”.
- An input control can be referenced by an input distribution parameter, constraint and/or an output function.
- It is possible to have a model that consists solely of controls with no input distributions. (In this case, the optimization is deterministic, so the number of optimization replications should be set to 1.)
- An input control can be Continuous or Discrete integer.